RANKING MONSTA X TITLE TRACKS

    Since I ranked Dreamcatcher title tracks, I also want to do one for Monsta X since they are my favorite boy group. Similar to Dreamcatcher, Monsta X has a unique sound to their title track while managing to keep every single song sound different from each other which is very impressive. I’m also really proud of Jooheon for producing their last two title tracks, they sound amazing Starship should’ve allowed him to produce Monsta X title tracks sooner.

    In this ranking I will be including their Japanese and English title tracks (though I’m not too sure which songs are considered title tracks for their English releases). They have been one of the most productive groups in K-pop doing comeback after comeback so it’s going to be hard to rank so many songs. Most of their title tracks are on the noisy side and I usually don’t really enjoy songs that are too noisy and I usually find that I prefer their b-sides compared to their title track. But I still enjoy the majority of their title tracks.

    These are just my subjective opinions based on my personal taste so you can respectfully disagree. I don’t have background knowledge in music, I am just someone who enjoys music and doing this just for fun. I also didn’t take into account the lyrics in the songs as I am someone who can enjoy music without knowing the meaning of the songs and I don’t understand Korean. I guess I’ll start ranking the title tracks.

26. Wish on the same sky

This song doesn’t sound like a Monsta X title track and I tend to forget about this song. The soft vocals and the instruments sounds great. I think this is a decent slow song but I generally don’t really enjoy songs that are too slow.


25. Puzzle

This song also doesn’t sound like a Monsta X title track and I also tend to forget about this song (when I find releases forgettable it’s probably partly due to the fact that Monsta X have so many releases). The rap parts are great as expected from Jooheon and Changkyun. This is a really fun and cute song and the music video is just adorable but I don’t really enjoy the chorus which is why I ranked it this low.


24. Follow

This is probably the saddest era for Monsta X and it was the scariest Halloween for all Monbebes I’m sure. Maybe that’s why I ranked it so low. Anyway, personally I don’t really like how loud the chorus sounds and how fast the song is. The rap parts sound great and Kihyun’s vocals is out of this world as usual.


23. You Problem

This is a fun song but for some reason I don’t find myself wanting to listen to this song. I find this song to be a bit boring somehow. I think the members did a great job with the vocals though. This album has songs that I like better than the title track such as The Dreaming, Secrets and One Day.


22. Middle of Night

This also doesn’t sound like the Monsta X I’m familiar with. For their English songs, I find them to be hit or miss, sometimes I really like it but sometimes I find it to be a bit boring. Though one thing I enjoy about their English songs is the fact that we can hear more of Jooheon and Changkyun singing and the fact they can explore more genres and promote the song with a sound that we don’t usually associate with Monsta X.


21. Flavors of Love

Another fun song with a super cute music video. The melody is super cute and wholesome. I rank this song so low because again it’s not like the Monsta X I’m familiar with, though I do think it’s a nice feel-good song.


20. Spotlight

I like the energy this song exudes. The vocals and rap are amazing as usual, I really really liked Jooheon and Changkyun’s rap. I ranked it this low because the instrumental of this song is on the noisy and chaotic side and I find them too repetitive, which can give me a headache sometimes.


19. Jealousy

I don’t find myself wanting to listen to this song as I prefer other their other title tracks. I find the instrumental to be very simplistic and can be a bit bland. Kihyun saved the chorus with his vocals in my opinion. 99% of the time I will sing along with the chorus when the song plays though. This album has better songs such as Lost in a Dream and Crazy in Love in my opinion.


18. Alligator

This is the era I got into Monsta X, one of my biggest regrets in life is not getting got into Monsta X sooner. This comeback is overall amazing, I mean look at how beautiful the music video is and their stage outfits are way ahead of their time in the best way possible. Though I don’t enjoy the song too much as it is on faster side and the instrumental of the chorus is also repetitive and noisy, which I personally don’t really like. I really like the verses though and Kihyun’s high note in the final chorus is just chef’s kiss.


17. Trespass

This is a great debut song, the only complaint for this debut is how they made only Jooheon stand out, but I understand why as Jooheon has the ability to catch people’s attention. His rap parts are amazing and very memorable. I also love how the bridge is slightly softer with Shownu’s vocals. Like with Alligator and Jealousy, I think the instrumental in the song is just too loud and repetitive for me to be able to enjoy the song all the time, the rap parts really saved this song to me.


16. Fantasia

The songs from here onward I actually really like and I find it challenging to rank order them. This is another one of their louder songs but I like this better than the previous louder songs as the instrumental is more interesting and Jooheon’s rap here is very iconic and leaves a big impact (honestly most of his rap parts are iconic). Kihyun’s vocals before the chorus and in the bridge are very powerful, he did an spectacular job. The choreography to this song looks extremely challenging and very tiring to perform, so props to them for promoting with such an intense choreography.


15. X Phenomenon

This is a very interesting song and I wasn’t sure what to think about the chorus upon first listen, but now I really enjoy it. The rap parts sound great and the soft vocals in the verses following the rap parts contrast the rap section really well. As usual Jooheon and Changkyun’s raps are phenomenal (see what I did there). The song sounds kind of messy, but a good kind of messy and I personally can follow it very well and understand what they’re going for.


14. Rush Hour

Jooheon’s second title track for Monsta X and the song they got most music show wins for, well deserved. I’m really looking forward to more title tracks produced by Jooheon. It’s a fast and loud song but I surprisingly liked the song. No one is surprised that the rap parts are amazing, Changkyun’s interesting off-beat rap (off-beat doesn’t mean bad, I just don’t have the vocabulary to explain it) keeps that section engaging. I really like how we get to hear a lot more Minhyuk singing since Shownu is currently enlisting in the military, though I really missed Shownu’s voice in Monsta X songs.


13. Shoot Out

This song increased Monsta X’s popularity thanks to the iconic chest vibrating dance in the intro. It’s a louder song but the melody line and the rap parts really complemented the noisiness in the instrumental. Kihyun’s vocals sound amazing and I liked how Wonho did the “shoot out” part in the last chorus. Overall, I really love the intensity of the song.


12. Rush

Rush is such an underappreciated title track, it’s so catchy. I love the build up from the pre-chorus to the chorus. The softer bridge also creates great contrast from the rest of the song. Again, the rappers did an incredible job. Also, tell me I’m not the only one that thinks the girl in the music video looks like Changkyun right?


11. Shine Forever

I absolutely love Shownu’s vocals in this song I think he really suits the song. The rap parts are amazing (I have no idea how many times I’ve said I like the rap part sof a Monsta X title track in this post alone lmao) and the build up to the chorus is really well done. Even though the chorus is on the noisy side, I surprisingly enjoyed it.


10. Fighter

I love how this song gives off boxing match vibes from the sounds they incorporate in the song (lmao idk how to say this in a way that doesn’t sound weird). The instruments sound epic and the melody line is very catchy and the background vocals and harmonies in the chorus sounds amazing. Of course, the rap sections are incredible as usual don’t expect anything less from Monsta X’s rappers.


9.  Dramarama

The song that got them their well deserved first win. I love the electric guitars in the song, it’s really addicting. I also love Hyungwon’s part in the pre-chorus, it’s a nice build up to the chorus. Once again, I have to say that Jooheon and Changkyun did an amazing job for their rap parts, sorry I don’t think I can emphasize enough how strong Monsta X rappers are. No complaints from me, I love everything about this song.


8. Who Do U Love

I’m not sure if this song is considered a title track, but I’m including it because I love this song. This song is unlike the regular Monsta X title tracks we are familiar with as it’s on the chill side, but I really like it. I love the sound design, the song sounds so open and wide (I have no idea how to explain this better). Also, Jooheon’s vocals is just beautiful. He did the runs in the final chorus and it sounds great, he has a very nice pop timbre. I wish French Montana’s rap were replaced by Changkyun’s own original verse though.


7. Wanted

This song is so good, I love the catchy melody and the instrumental is not as noisy as most Monsta X title tracks but we can still hear the signature Monsta X sound. Minhyuk and Jooheon’s parts near the pre-chorus are very catchy, the rap parts are great as usual and Shownu and Kihyun’s vocals sounds gorgeous. This song shows me that Monsta X’s non-Korean releases also needs as much attention as their Korean releases as they can be just as great.


6. All In

This song is amazing, I really wish it had more recognition. Changkyun’s rap following the intro is so satisfying to me. The song has a great melody and really interesting instrumentals, making it impossible for me to get bored of this song. I love how in the final chorus we have Jooheon and Changkyun’s rap over the beautiful background vocals.


5. Livin' it Up

I love the melody in the chorus and the strong bass sounds in the song. Jooheon and Changkyun’s powerful rap followed by the pre-chorus before the final chorus is music to my ears. I really like the instrumentals in this song too. Another song that shows their non-Korean releases need just as much attention as their Korean ones.


4. Gambler

Jooheon’s first Monsta X title track, he really came out with a bang. Such a catchy song with Michael Jackon vibes in the instrumentals. I love Minhyuk’s vocals starting the first verse and the faux chorus part with Kihyun’s vocals transitioning to Shownu’s gorgeous vocals leading up to the chorus. The actual chorus is empty but the verses are just so amazing and the build up to the chorus makes a lot of sense so I have no complaints about it whatsoever. The rap parts are amazing as usual, I can’t say enough how much I liked Changkyun’s “hot as Fo” line. We also get Jooheon doing the vocal adlibs in the final chorus, something we don’t hear a lot of in Monsta X’s Korean releases, it was very refreshing.


3. Beautiful

Jooheon and Changkyun beginning the verses with their rap is fire (surprise, surprise I complimented Jooheon and Changkyun’s rap yet again). This song is on the louder side, but I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. The melody of the pre-chorus and chorus is chef’s kiss. I love the instrumental in the chorus. Minhyuk and Hyungwon’s part in the chorus is very catchy. The post chorus slaps hard. The quiet bridge with Kihyun, Wonho and Shownu’s vocals sounds beautiful (see what I did there). I think this song deserved to be their first win, but it wasn’t, this is why we can’t have nice things.


2. Love Killa

I love the bass sounds in this song and Jooheon’s iconic “I’m sorry did I make you anxious” and Changkyun’s “I want you eat me like a main dish”. Jooheon’s low tone rap in the first verse sounds so badass, he usually does more high tone/energy rap but his low tone rap sounds just as fire, the versatility is impressive. I love how this song is powerful but is more toned down than the songs we would associate with Monsta X.


1. LOVE

Jooheon did it again, he really blew my mind this time around. I've never heard a boy group do this genre; in fact I don't even know how to classify the genre of this song. I usually am not a big fan of switching sounds/genre in a song, but this switch was really well done and blends really nicely. I love the rap parts as usual and the dance break looks sick. This is why Jooheon should always make title tracks for Monsta X.


Well, this concludes the ranking, I exhausted myself trying to rank so many amazing title tracks. Just want to remind you again that heir b-sides are also amazing. I usually don’t like music that is too noisy, but Monsta X somehow make me like noisy music. I’m a bit sad that this year will most likely be the last time we see Monsta X be so productive due to the majority of the members having to enlist by the end of this year. I am just trying to enjoy the content the members always work hard on to present to Monbebes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LE SSERAFIM PLASTIC SURGERY ANALYSIS

SF9 PLASTIC SURGERY ANALYSIS

DAY6 PLASTIC SURGERY ANALYSIS